Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Views around the Grounds and Walled Garden - 02/11/11

The clocks have gone back and we have now moved into November. The House is now closed, but the grounds and Walled Garden remain open for visitors. As usual I journeyed to Wallington for another Wednesday volunteering for the National Trust.

Reaching Wallington at about 8.40 a.m. I parked the car and could hear a leaf blower in operation beside the property entrance. Was this a clue to what I would be doing today?

On my way to the Walled Garden, I took my usual photographs. The trees are shedding their leaves and with the rain they make a mess and any wind takes them to corners of buildings, hedges and borders.

It was to be a day of collecting these leaves, I spent the morning clearing the hedge bottoms of Courtyard cottages and around the Clock Tower Restaurant. It was very busy with a National Trust Coffee Shop walk starting at about 10.30 a.m.

In the afternoon I moved across the Courtyard to tackle the fallen Horse Chestnut leaves on the grass. I was very surprised on moving the leaves, to see daffodil shoots poking out of the grass!

It remained dry and sunny at Wallington today, although some gusts of wind across the Courtyard took leaves onto the areas I had tidied earlier. Well there's always next week to have another go.

Photographs taken today:

Clock Tower

Clock Tower and Courtyard

House frontage and path to West Lawn and West Wood

Autumn colours on East Lawn

House entrance and East Lawn

Mary Pool in the Walled Garden

Autumn's colours in the Walled Garden

Path in Walled Garden to Mary Pool

Lower Terrace Walled Garden

Courtyard and Rear of House

No comments:

Post a Comment